Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Matter of Taste

My friend Jason posted this meme on his blog and I thought it was cool. I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to trying new foods, so it was fun to fill this out. I encourage you all to do the same! Heidi, Susan, Heather?

The Food Tasting Meme

Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions. Bold all the items you've eaten. Cross out any items that you would never consider eating (or eating again). (Note: I used yellow font on the foods I'd tried, because the bold doesn't show up very well on my background.)

Venison
Nettle tea
Huevos rancheros
Steak tartare
Crocodile (does alligator count?)
Black pudding (I couldn't eat anything made with coagulated blood)
Cheese fondue
Carp
Borscht (yummy with sour cream!)
Baba ghanoush
Calamari
Pho
PB&J sandwich
Aloo gobi
Hot dog from a street cart

Epoisses
Black truffle (I really want to try this sometime)
Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
Steamed pork buns
Pistachio ice cream
Heirloom tomatoes
Fresh wild berries

Foie gras
Rice and beans
Brawn, or head cheese (head cheese...even the name is disgusting)
Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (jalapenos are too hot for me...I'm such a wimp)
Dulce de leche
Oysters
Baklava
Bagna cauda
Wasabi peas
Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
Salted lassi
Sauerkraut
Root beer float
Cognac with a fat cigar
Clotted cream tea
Vodka jelly
Gumbo
Oxtail
Curried goat
Whole insects (no no no no no. Well, maybe if they were breaded and deep-fried, then served with some kind of dipping sauce)
Phaal (again, spicy wimp here)
Goat's milk (remember when we had that goat that lived in the front yard that time?)
Malt whisky from a bottle worth $120 or more
Fugu
Chicken tikka masala
Eel
Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
Sea urchin
Prickly pear
Umeboshi
Abalone
Paneer
(I have a recipe to make this, and I want to do it sometime)
McDonald's Big Mac Meal
Spaetzle

Dirty gin martini
Beer above 8% ABV
Poutine
Carob chips (remember stinky beans, and the big carob craze in the 80s?)
S'mores
Sweetbreads (if someone slipped it into my meal and I didn't know, then maybe.)
Kaolin
Currywurst
Durian (yay Cambodia! It wasn't as stinky as people made it seem)
Frog's Legs
Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
Haggis (gross)
Fried plantain
Chitterlings or andouillette
Gazpacho
Caviar
and blini (never tried blinis, but the caviar was just salty)
Louche absinthe
Gjetost or brunost
Roadkill (puhlease)
Baijiu
Hostess Fruit Pie
Snail (I would probably gag if I tried them)
Lapsang souchong (closest I've come is hot buttered tea from House of Tibet)
Bellini
Tom yum
Eggs Benedict
(my favorite breakfast!)
Pocky
Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
Kobe beef
Hare (I saw this on the cooking channel and the raw meat was dark, like a big chunk of liver, but I might try a bite depending on how it was cooked)
Goulash
Flowers

Horse (...)
Criollo chocolate
Spam
Soft shell crab
Rose harissa
Catfish (tried it, but the texture was reminiscent of what I think bug texture would be)
Mole poblano
Bagel and lox

Lobster Thermidor
Polenta
Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
Snake


The Food Tasting Meme

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is that hot buttered tea anyhow? I read a book a few years ago about someone's wandering in Tibet, and remember it being mentioned prominently...

Erin said...

Hot buttered tea is really good. It's kind of salty, rather than sweet, and it reminded me a little bit of the taste of Cream of Wheat with lots of butter, which I ate as a kid.

Go to House of Tibet (13th South and State) and try it! :)

Anonymous said...

Cool, I'll have to... I like Cream of Wheat. :)