Friday, February 29, 2008

In the spirit of being truly open and honest...

...I have to just put this out there: I'm a total geek.

Okay, the two people who (possibly) read this blog already know that, but here's further proof of the awful truth.

There's a billboard at the point of the mountain that I pass every day on the way to my parents' house. It's for Omniture, a company hiring computer engineers, and their billboards are presented sort of as a list of skillz their prospective applicants might have. Their attempts to be geek-chic and humorous are sometimes groan-inducing, but this one was just too much. It said:

Level 70 Night Elf
SQL Server Shaman
For the Horde!

My inner WoW geek was incensed. Everyone knows Night Elves are Alliance, not Horde. After rolling my eyes so hard my brain cramped, I went on to argue with the imaginary Omniture ad writer that technically, Shamans are a Horde class, but the only Alliance race that can be Shamans are Draenei, not Night Elves. And while a player can have multiple toons, including alts from each faction, not many would lead a list of accomplishments with their maxed-out Alliance alt and then say For the Horde!...Ever.

Sorry, but it just needed to be pointed out.




These Night Elves eat Shamans for breakfast.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I have no idea what you just said, but it made me laugh regardless. I had a moment like that when I was explaining to James all the cool connections and references in last night's LOST.

Anonymous said...

Geez, and here I thought I was geeky for getting annoyed at people who type out Bladerunner instead of the proper, two-word title, Blade Runner... :)

OctopusFingerpuppet said...

Ditto heidi on the complete confusion and simultaneous hysterics. I'm glad no one was around at the time, or I might have had to explain...somehow.

spaden said...

Hey internet girlfriend. You are a very decent writer, and if you and I don't write something together someday, it will be a tragedy.

I actually quit playing WoW and I'm selling my computer on Wednesday. I'm just preparing for the big move back to Indiana.

Oh well.

/hugs

Peter said...

I had a good laugh at that billboard, too... if you google SQL server, it's not a WoW server, either... it's a type of server hosting system for programmers. (I have a 70 human Paladin, by the way)